See also: Copyright | Fair Use
Aka: Copy Protection
Any system that creates and limits a user‘s ability to make use of digital content. The major hurdle for the industrial development of such a rights system is to adopt standards and mechanisms that the average user finds acceptable. Because it is a restriction on consumers and consumers ultimately chose how they receive media, this has been a struggle to adoption.
DRM, copy prevention and copy protection may be used interchangably. It includes the legacy methods such as code wheels and manual page/paragraph/word lookups that comes bundled with some software and was needed for the program to run properly.
Often, content creators use streaming content to help prevent digital media theft but, increasingly, tools like Streamripper (http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/) are allowing customers to save data as it is downloaded.
- DRM News Site (http://www.drmblog.org/) – Aggregated DRM News
- DRM News (http://www.drmnews.com/) – Digital Rights Management News
- DRM Watch (http://www.drmwatch.com/) – Industry analysis
- DRM Blog – DRM News – DRM Circumvention (http://www.drmblog.com/) – Updated Daily
- `Trusted Computing’ Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html).
TakeDown.NET -> “Digital-Rights-Management”