Also Known As: “Ad Filter”
This list is not exhaustive.
- The Hosts File – (Windows) – This is an information site on the usage of the Windows-Hosts file which allows you to selectively disable access to certain unwanted servers. The advantage is that it’s faster than running a proxy and covers all net traffic, but you can’t filter some sites, or filter content-based like with Proxomitron.
- Web Ad Blocking Under Linux/Unix, BeOS, MacOS and Windows – Last updated Feb 2000.
- ffproxy | GNU Homepage – ffproxy is a filtering HTTP proxy server. It is able to filter by host, URL, and header. Custom header entries can be filtered and added. It can even drop its privileges and optionally chroot() to some directory. Logging to syslog() is supported, as is using another auxiliary proxy server. Contacting IPv6 servers is supported and allows transparent IPv6 over IPv4 browsing.
- CTC | GNU Homepage – CTC (Cut The Crap) is a proxy-like daemon that will filter your browser’s requests to prevent downloading ads. It is meant mostly for dialup users whose bandwidth is too precious and expensive to waste on banners and ads.
- Privoxy – Comparable in power to the Proxomitron, based on the Internet Junkbuster, updated and expanded. An excellent web filter.
- Internet Junkbuster “The Internet Junkbuster Proxy (TM) blocks unwanted banner ads and protects your privacy from cookies and other threats.” GPLed, not as powerful as Proxomitron, hasn’t been updated since 1998, can’t handle HTTP 1.1.
- Mozilla – a web browser that includes a “Block Images from this Server” option as well as many other similar features, like Adblock
- SwiftSurf – SwiftSurf is a web proxy that can handle http (1.0 and 1.1) and https. Moreover, it allows page filtering and authentication through a password. – replaced BannerKiller
- BannerFilter – (Squid) – This script blocks advertising banners on the Web. If you have a slow Internet connection, it will speed up your surfing, since the banners are not downloaded from the Internet at all.
- ufdbGuard – (Squid) – ufdbGuard is the fastest URL filter available for Squid. The commercial database from URLfilterDB blocks most ads.
- Proxomitron – (Windows) – A very powerful web-filter. It can filter URLs using killfiles, or parts of websites using regex-like macros, it allows you to selectively enable and disable cookies and lots more.
- Webwasher – (Windows) – WW is less powerful, but easier to use than Proxomitron. It’s good for newbies who want to keep the ads out.
- DNSKong / WebWasher workshop – (Windows) – A local DNS that allows you to block servers more precisely than with the hosts file. The WebWasher workshop is an excellent WW tutorial.
- MiddleMan | Sourceforge Page | GNU Page – MiddleMan is a fast HTTP/HTTPS proxy server that removes unwanted content and increases privacy. It uses an XML configuration file, and fully implements the HTTP 1.1 protocol, including persistent proxy connections. It has file, host, cookie, header, and content filtering, and can forward through both socks4 and regular http/https proxies.
TakeDown.NET -> “Ad-Blockers”