See also: Server | Google | Distributed computing
A series of computers all linked together to help perform a major operation. Often a form of super computer used in research or major graphic design projects such as movies such as Titanic and Lord of the Rings. Linux is a common Operating System for Beowulf clusters since there is a cost benefit in the free node-per-node cost.
Google has developed a cluster computing technology that is very scalable.
- Recent NY Times article on Beowulf Clusters
- Build your own Super Computer
- Cluster Resources Beowulf Cluster Management Tools
- Apple‘s xGrid for highly scalable clustering from home/small office, to wide-scale solutions.
- A Java implementation in an effort to make the program cross-platform (more than just Macs).
TakeDown.NET -> “Beowulf-Cluster”