Acronym: Bastard Operator From Hell
A system administrator, or operator, who hates their users, loathing to assist them and taking pleasure in their demise. Generally speaking, an Evil person unless you are similarly technically competent. A malignant form of techno-elitism.
The BOFH can be an admin who abuses their power or someone who’s job it is to do technical support who doesn’t out of spite. The BOFH can be considered a type of Attack, similar to the Former Employee Attack.
A few possibilities:
- Avoid: Don’t seek their help in the first place and, instead, figure out the problem yourself.
- Listen: Ask his/her opinions about hardware, operating systems, or whatever s/he’s interested in.
- Ally: Agree with his/her complaints and complain similarly.
- Parallel: find out the individual is wrong about an important technical issue and let him know in a way that is not threatening – resulting respect may buy good sway.
- Threaten: The BOFH is unscrupulous but often likes his job. This is dangerous territory – do not overuse.
- Official Archive of the One True BOFH
- Clothing for the BOFH from the Register.
TakeDown.NET -> “BOFH”