See also: Pop-Up | Web browser | Getting Rid Of Spyware | Ad Blockers
Unrequested windows popping up in your web browser is of many modern annoyances including Spam and Spyware. There are a variety of ways to prevent pop-ups:
Both Mozilla and Opera come with Pop-Up blocking built into the browser.
- Slim Browser – a popular free modification for Internet Explorer with many tricks and features, including pop-up blocking and Opera-style tabbed browsing. (ZDNet mirror, review)
- Pop Up Stopper – free for Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator browsers.
- Pop This – freeware, simple and effective
- EMS Free Surfer mk II – free with various levels of control for pop-ups.
To remove advertisements inside Web pages, consider Ad Blockers.
In Windows, users have a few options beyond installing new software:
- Press the ALT + F4 to close new windows. Note that if pressed too many times accidentally, it will close the browser window as well.
- Right-click the task bar as pop-ups appear and select “close.” This works well for pop-unders.
TakeDown.NET -> “Getting-Rid-Of-Pop-Ups”