- Slim Browser – a popular free modification for Internet Explorer with many tricks and features, including pop-up blocking and Opera-style tabbed browsing. (ZDNet mirror, review)
- Pop This – freeware, simple and effective
- EMS Free Surfer mk II – free with various levels of control for pop-ups.
- Press the ALT + F4 to close new windows. Note that if pressed too many times accidentally, it will close the browser window as well.
- Right-click the task bar as pop-ups appear and select “close.” This works well for pop-unders.
TakeDown.NET -> “Getting-Rid-Of-Pop-Ups”