Let’s try to keep the list somewhat relevant.
- Hackers (http://imdb.com/title/tt0113243/) – a humorous movie featuring a group of hip, stylized hackers. Many quotes from the film have been adopted by real-life hackers who don’t take themselves to seriously.
- SLC Punk (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0133189/) – a funny, yet serious movie about a young hardcore punk in Salt Lake City who, over time, starts to realize that his life of anarchy and rebellion might not be the best way to change the world.
- Brazil – A vision of a dystopic future where bureaucracy has become everything, a simple typo can get you killed, and the only means of escape is to delude yourself into thinking you’re living a life away from reality. By Terry Gilliam of Monty Python.
- Blade Runner
- The Net
- Lawnmower Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104692/) – Not recommended.
- Hippies From Hell (http://hippies.waag.org) – Documentary. “Hippies from Hell are a group of hackers, techies, artists, writers and puzzlers. In the eighties they published hacker magazine Hacktic (http://www.hacktic.nl) and in 1993 they started the first Dutch Internet-provider, xs4all (http://www.xs4all.nl), thus opening the Internet for the general public”. Freely, legally downloadble. Bandwidth donated by Waag Society (http://www.waag.org).
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/), by Stanley Kubrick. A movie from 1968 about a space adventure in which the supercomputer HAL plays a key role. Can the supercomputer be trusted? Characterized by the open end, the philophical aspect, and beautiful art – both audio and visually.
- Freedom Downtime (http://www.2600.com) – the 2600 documentary about the Free Kevin (Mitnick) movement, and the lamentable and inaccurate ‘Takedown’ (Good line in FD – Takedown, the book: Number of crimes documented – 2. Number of meals documented – 47) Get the poor quality .ram files from http://www.loudandoffensive.com/media.html. It’s okay, 2600 don’t mind you DLing this, but buy it if you can (DVD version due soon)…you need Real Player or Real Alternative to view the .ram files.
- Lockpicking at H2K2 and H2K with Barry ‘The Key’ Wels (http://connect.waag.org/toool/) – both films feature the now standard lockpicking forum from the last 2 HOPE conferences. H2K2 is especially worth checking out if you attend an American high school with those master combination locks on the lockers… =)
- BBC’s Adam Curtis: The Power of Nightmares (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm) – “The Power of Nightmares assesses whether the threat from a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion.” Not only that, it also documents the rise of Christian and Islamitic fundamentalists. I saw it on a film festival, highly recommended — dpi
TakeDown.NET -> “Movie/Recommendations”