An internet program designed to read Usenet news. It is often similar to, or integrated with an E-Mail Client. Some news readers are designed with sophisticated composition and threading features to facilitate discussion, and others are designed specifically and solely to upload and download binaries. A non-exhaustive list of examples follows:
- 1 Cross-Platform
- 2 *Nix
- 3 Windows
- 4 Newsgroup Service Providers
- 5 Other Tools
- Gnus – featurerich newsreader (and more) for the Emacs editor
- Mozilla Mail/News – free e-mail and news client.
- NomadNews – Free Usenet newsgroup downloader and poster
- PowerGrab – Only allows you to download – free
- PowerPost – Only allows you to post – free
- Newsbin – Commercial
- Xnews – Free
- Agent – probably the best commercial newsreader.
- BNR2 – Free
- Microplanet Gravity – freeware
- Binary Boy – proprietary Usenet client for Windows. Binary Boy is great for grabbing images, music and movies.
- Google Directory for windows usenet clients
Newsgroup Service Providers
- Unlimited newsgroups Commercial newsgroup service provider offering unlimited downloading
- Usenet Binaries Offering web-based and NNTP access to 120,000 newsgroups.
Binary Download Tools
- Newsan – WWW / Perl frontend to a newsserver. Meant to grab and post binaries rather than reading or posting text. Supports NZB, PAR2, and many more.
- PHP News Reader – WWW / PHP frontend to a newsserver with a more purpose features. Has native NNTPS support. Also supports a broad number of other protocols like POP3/POP3S via modules.
- Newsgrab – A CLI tool to download binary multipart encoded messages.
- nget – Multi platform CLI tool for binary downloads, with yEnc support and other features. See the nget entry for frontends, related software, etc.
- ubh – Usenet Binary Grabber is a multi platform CLI tool for downloading binaries, coded in Perl. Has yEnc support, uuencoded support and uses a MySQL database for config and log purposes.
- GrabIt – GUI, free, Windows.
- NINAN – “a webapplication to download binary content from news servers. Ninan Supports the NZB file format for easy download and runs on a server or workstation on a OS supporting Java 1.4+”
- Klibido – rich-featured binary leecher, for KDE.
- Newsbin – A very known and popular binary leacher with loads of features. Runs through WINE and Linux port is in the make.
Binary Upload Tools
- Easy Post – free, Windows Usenet yEnc binary poster.
- Newspost – CLI usenet binary autoposter *NIX.
- Gnewspost – GUI, GNOME usenet binary poster.
- Knewspost – GUI, KDE usenet binary poster.
- KNZB – For KDE.
- Nzbperl – NZB support (and only that) in Perl. Seems to actually work.
- hellanzb – NZB downloader and post processor (does both simultaneously).
- NZBget – A bit buggy, no longer developed.
- NZB Leecher – free, open-source, Windows application that searches NewzMonster, alt.binaries.nl, usenetjunkie, newzBin, Binnews and Eweka newsgroups indexing sites to create .nzb files.
TakeDown.NET -> “Newsreaders”