See also: Audio | Audio Formats
A file format and extension for the Ogg Multimedia Container – a family of free and open-source multimedia coding formats being developed as part of Xiph.Org‘s Ogg Multimedia Project.
Ogg means the container for multimedia data. It can contain allmost every coded data, but usually it will be vorbis (a lossy codec), FLAC (lossless), Speex (8-32kHz sampling, ~ 8-15kbps) or Theora in the future.
The growing list includes:
- Ogg Vorbis – a true replacement for proprietary MP3 and WMA audio file.
- Ogg Theora – free and open video solution
- FLAC – a lossless audio compression
- Speex – for Internet Telephony
- IceCast – an audio broadcast system
- Tremor – a Vorbis integer-decoder engine
This list is not exhaustive.
TakeDown.NET -> “OGG”