- – which software is installed;
- – keeping the system up2date;
- – easily installing new software;
- – automagically install new software because of a dependancy.
Hereunder is a list of package managers. Between brackets is the intended OS is was written for. However, please note that other OSes may have adopted (and/or improved) the software. Autopackage deserves a seperate note, because it tries to be distribution-independent (but for Linux only).
- Portage (Gentoo)
- Ports (FreeBSD)
- Apt (Debian
- Fink (MacOSX)
- Tgz (Slackware)
- RPM (RedHat)
- Klik (http://klik.berlios.de) (Klik next-generation / repository (http://klik.atekon.de/) – Kanotix, Knoppix-derived distribution.
- Autopackage (http://www.autopackage.org) (Linux distribution)
TakeDown.NET -> “Package-management”